Picture this: You’re getting ready for a big night out – feeling great and ready to show off your amazing hair.
Then you notice something unsettling…flakes of dandruff falling from your scalp. In a matter of seconds, your confidence has taken a nosedive. How does this keep happening when you try to take good care of your hair?
Let’s talk about it.
Dandruff is actually a pretty common scalp condition. It can affect people of all ages and can be caused by a variety of factors. Those who struggle with a dry, flaky scalp know that the conditions can worsen in particularly stressful times.
But is dandruff caused by stress?
One of the most common causes of dandruff is an overgrowth of a naturally occurring fungus called Malassezia. This fungus feeds on the oils produced by your hair follicles, and in some people, it can cause irritation, itching, and flaking.
Other factors that can contribute to dandruff include:
- Dry skin: When your scalp is dry, it can become itchy and flaky.
- Seborrheic dermatitis: A condition that causes red, itchy, and scaly patches on the scalp.
- Not shampooing enough: When you don’t wash your hair enough, oils and skin cells build up on your scalp, causing dandruff.
- Allergic reactions: Some people may be allergic to hair care products or certain ingredients in them, which can cause irritation and dandruff.
Is Dandruff Caused by Stress?
While stress is not a direct cause of dandruff, it can worsen the condition.
When we are under stress, our bodies release a hormone called cortisol. Cortisol can affect the production of sebum, the natural oil that lubricates our skin and hair. An increase in cortisol can cause an overproduction of sebum, which can lead to oily skin and scalp. Excess sebum can also create an environment that is more hospitable to the Malassezia fungus, which can exacerbate dandruff.
Not only that, but stress can also weaken your immune system, making it harder for your body to fight off the fungus that causes dandruff.
And with stress usually comes more fidgeting and scraping the scalp, leading to more irritation and flaking.
If you’re experiencing dandruff, it’s essential to take steps to care for your scalp and reduce irritation. Anti-dandruff hair care products can make a huge difference in soothing the skin and minimizing flaking.
The Kerastase Symbiose Anti-Dandruff line is one such product that can be effective in treating dandruff – plus, it’s available at Facetté The Hair Experience! From shampoos to conditioners and masks, there are all kinds of products to try.
Other Tips to Get Rid of Dandruff
In addition to using anti-dandruff products, there are other steps you can take to keep your scalp healthy, including:
- Shampooing regularly: Regularly washing your hair can help to remove oil and skin cells from your scalp and reduce the risk of dandruff.
- Avoiding hair products that can irritate your scalp: Certain hair care products, like hair sprays and gels, can irritate your scalp and make dandruff worse.
- Managing stress: While stress is not a direct cause of dandruff, managing stress can help to reduce the severity of the condition.
Please know: experiencing dandruff is okay. This happens all the time, and it’s treatable! Start by making small changes, so you can identify your root cause and work from there.
If you need help finding the right products for your hair and scalp, stop by or schedule a hair consultation with one of our professional stylists. We can help you find the right anti-dandruff products and create a hair care routine that keeps your scalp healthy and flake-free.